After 3 months of unemployment, a staffing agency (which shall remain nameless) placed me with a company that does outsourced customer service; read: Call Center; read: place where you take phone calls from people who complain, bitch, whine, and moan. Thank God I was only in training.
It was a unique place, structurally no different from a Sam's Club from the outside. Most of the space inside were cubicles. The people, however, were another story. Most of them were, for lack of a better word, ghetto in behavior. Perhaps it's due to my surroundings but I find myself much less accepting of people now. Houston does something to me, makes me cynical, makes me conceited, holier than thou and condescending. Some would say that I'm that way wherever I go. Fuck them.
That last phrase, you will find is a theme that continues, as I post some of my collected thoughts from one night at my $7.00/ hour call center job.

Fuck this place It's dark now. A light, dripping rain comes making the smell of the nearby trees on this our of the way road come out. Its the first time any part of this city has felt close to beautiful. Or, it could be lack of sleep, or coffee and cigarette overdose. I've learned that a city can have a vibe, a personality, a feeling, a mood. Perhaps it was the people, or the college, or the size, or the music, but I've never missed Austin more. The friends I had there feel like a family I've lost - distant relatives separated by space; memories lost now in too many hazes of smoke and warm, drunken flashes of light, and faces, and laughs, and vomit. Eventually, the good times were killing me, but it was a lovely sort of death.
Here, now, in the smoker's courtyard of a call center, I dream of being back there. Of discussing matters of personal importance or matters of no consequence that I could with no blood relative.
The City of Austin - a vibrant cultural jewel in the wasteland that is Texas. A place where ideas are just as important as deeds, and deeds are given their full measure and weight; a place where you can enjoy your vices in peace. In most places in the city, taste, race, and class are more overcome than anywhere else in this area. It is a place that significantly lacks cultural conservatism - do what you want, but harm no one else. Friendliness is coupled with a bitten Texan cynicism; hope is tempered in reality, but not killed. The people are such with the courage to stand up for their convictions, to work for whatever social justice they feel is necessary whether its a lone person shouting in the wilderness or hundreds in front of the State Capitol.
Austin will forever be the place of my true birth, true mind, true soul, true heart.
Fuck Houston, and everything about Houston. Fuck the middle-aged White people, the middle class conservatives and their Stepford Wives. You want to go back to 1950s? Kill yourselves.
Fuck the 'I prefer to be ignorant 'cause that's keepin' it real' Niggas. No, I don't know any Slim Thugz songs. Do you know somebody named Shakespeare? No? Then shut the fuck up. But I can't entirely blame them.
Fuck the politicians, and Texas politics. Republican, and Democrat. Talking, and talking, and getting nowhere; so obsessed with winning and power that you've forgotten that you're all social servants in low-paying temp jobs, and that those jobs entail helping people and educating our children. You are all disgraces to anyone who served their country in anyway.
The remainder of said personal journal note is so offensive, not to mention incomplete and lacking lucid, reasonable thought, as needs be edited by the writer in hindisight. Suffice it to say, there may be more self-reflexive social commentary forthcomming.
On a completely different note, if any of my friends and readers have seen the Borat movie ( Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443453/), please send me your thoughts and reviews.
That's all for now. I'm alive, and well (maybe just a bit darker) and drinking a screwdriver.
Here, now, in the smoker's courtyard of a call center, I dream of being back there. Of discussing matters of personal importance or matters of no consequence that I could with no blood relative.
The City of Austin - a vibrant cultural jewel in the wasteland that is Texas. A place where ideas are just as important as deeds, and deeds are given their full measure and weight; a place where you can enjoy your vices in peace. In most places in the city, taste, race, and class are more overcome than anywhere else in this area. It is a place that significantly lacks cultural conservatism - do what you want, but harm no one else. Friendliness is coupled with a bitten Texan cynicism; hope is tempered in reality, but not killed. The people are such with the courage to stand up for their convictions, to work for whatever social justice they feel is necessary whether its a lone person shouting in the wilderness or hundreds in front of the State Capitol.
Austin will forever be the place of my true birth, true mind, true soul, true heart.
Fuck Houston, and everything about Houston. Fuck the middle-aged White people, the middle class conservatives and their Stepford Wives. You want to go back to 1950s? Kill yourselves.
Fuck the 'I prefer to be ignorant 'cause that's keepin' it real' Niggas. No, I don't know any Slim Thugz songs. Do you know somebody named Shakespeare? No? Then shut the fuck up. But I can't entirely blame them.
Fuck the politicians, and Texas politics. Republican, and Democrat. Talking, and talking, and getting nowhere; so obsessed with winning and power that you've forgotten that you're all social servants in low-paying temp jobs, and that those jobs entail helping people and educating our children. You are all disgraces to anyone who served their country in anyway.
The remainder of said personal journal note is so offensive, not to mention incomplete and lacking lucid, reasonable thought, as needs be edited by the writer in hindisight. Suffice it to say, there may be more self-reflexive social commentary forthcomming.
On a completely different note, if any of my friends and readers have seen the Borat movie ( Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443453/), please send me your thoughts and reviews.
That's all for now. I'm alive, and well (maybe just a bit darker) and drinking a screwdriver.
2 comments:
the borat movie - jarad was asking if i thought any of the very PC viewers in seattle would be offended. i wasn't sure, but afterwards i said the most offensive part was actually those fucked up midwest college boys/yokels who I HOPE do not win any money since they are trying to sue cohen.
Jak Se Mas!
The movie was great man! Hilarious beginning to end. The balls to mouth moments were a bit overstated and gross, but I can deal. I haven't laughed that hard in the theatre in a long time. Highly recommended.
Post a Comment